Pages

Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Della

Why the name Della? The answer is simple. I like the name “DELLA”. But then, like most thing on earth, there’s a story behind ( literally). Have anyone read “The Gift Of The Magi” by O.Henry. I came across that short story in my literature class while i was in 5th grade or so. And the story kinda stuck on my brain ever since. I admire the sacrifices done in the name of love. Maybe i'm a born romantic, even though i don’t show :P

For those who don’t know what i’m talking about, the story is about a Christmas eve where this very poor couple try to find surprise gifts that will make the other happy. Della had long beautiful knee-length hair of which she was very proud of.  She sold that to buy a platinum chain for the gold watch her husband had, a family heirloom which he highly treasured. On the other hand, the husband Jim sold his watch to buy her a very beautiful comb which he felt she highly deserved. Both the gifts are wasted. How stupid. But then, it was the wisest gift of all since it was purely selfless and showed their immense love for one another.

Touching feminine crap. And that's why i'm Della. So what if i can’t relate to her in real life. Selling my netbook to buy a PS3 for my boyfren. Uh uh. Not happening!! But we can actually learn something from here. Gifts are good!! I have decided to accept them 365 days a year.

Even now i find the story quite interesting. You have to read it to feel the sentiments. You can check it out here http://www.auburn.edu/~vestmon/Gift_of_the_Magi.html. I imagine Della to be a gorgeous lady with long black hair. And Jim a handsome hunk with a dashing smile. So here’s my version of the wonderful couple. :D



Well, all i can add is that, its Christmas season and sharing is the key to happiness right now. More happier if you’re on the receiving end, obviously. But really, there’s no harm in giving a small thank-you gift to all those people who made your life beautiful. All smiles.

10 comments:

  1. LOL... :)

    So you have decided to recieve gifts 365 days a year !! BUt, I've decided to be in the 1/4 extra day of every year so that I won't come in the list of those poor fellas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha.. Good 4 u Dijen. I'll still stick to 365 days. Who said anything about gifting back? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm.... i believe it was a set of combs.
    and Liv tyler as Della?? no way man!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well! here u go again.. made a smile on my face again. :-).Neways, I still remember the story... even though i keep on forgetting many other things u said. and btw, u dont need to sell ur lappy to get me a PS3 or XBOX, you can buy me with your sal instead ;-).. That will show ur true dellaness.. lol!

    P.S. I agree you are born romantic..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey wreck .. Comb or combs.. Does it matter? The gift was still useless & cute. BTW wats wrong wit Tyler? Whom do u want Della to be? :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha. I'm glad u liked it Sumen. And i'll show u my Dellaness when you show me Jim-ness? lol. And I like your P.S. a lot. Love ya baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. liv tyler as della is not at all a bad version :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. c did look so amazing in Lord of The Ring series.. serene look :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl, never thought you're such a born-writer. Love reading it. I rem'ber the story very well bcos I cried after reading it. And ever since I have been acting like her but I never found my Jim. Searching for a little side of Jim in my lover boy. So far... I'm not sure. It's a long way to go for me and my lover boy and we have alrdy decided to get married. I'm just hoping with all my heart that he's the Mr. Right. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. haha.. thanks curly.. not so sure about a born-writer but it sounds good.. n i'm sure he's the right Jim ;) and super advance congratulation on the wedding..!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I always reply ;)