Pages

Thursday, 15 March 2012

The Fair



“STOP THIS THING RIGHT NOW!!” , dad shouted below towards the operator who stood there watching us with a grin, showing all his teeth.

Me, my younger sister and dad were in an Indian fair a.k.a Mela riding a copter type thingy that spin round and round in a very loud noise, high up the air.

It was my first time to a fair and I was very excited and happy. My eyes scanned everything, all the colors and weird people and tricks. It was a wonderful treat.

Being a child, it was very easy to forget that I was in a totally different mood a few hours back. The thing was, our Nanny left us. She was getting married soon and so that day we had a farewell party inviting everyone we know for lunch.

I cried a lot when we parted. She was like a sister, a friend and a second mother to me. She had been staying at our house since I was a little baby. Now I was a tall girl of 4th std. Yet I cant help but cry at the unfairness of all. For all i know, she left us.

So while I was all broken and sad, Dad decided to rescue me and took us to the fair.

Back to 15 min prior to the scene where dad was shouting:
It so happened that I wanted to try out the various rides. And so dad carried us inside this mock train/copter type thing? He consoled us that nothing will happen. He said we will enjoy it.

The ride begun with lotsa sounds of cracking metal. The thing looked like it will break apart any second.

After about 3 high speed spins I was feeling nausea, my sis was almost in tears and dad was screaming! I guess the thick head who're operating the buttons have seen way too many drama. They didn't even bother to look concerned. I peeped through the window and saw one of them laughing at us.

I stared at my dad open mouthed. I have never seen my fearless dad lose his cool before. And so to my young undeveloped mind, the sanity of my Dad was the issue here. It looked like we were about to lose him any moment.

He banged at the metal wall and shouted at them to stop the wild ride.I find myself shouting too. Seeing me, my sister shouted too. Three of us screamed our lungs out. And that my friend was pure thrill. Can't get any more real than that. Haha. And yes, they stopped.

Dad puked once he reached ground and later shouted at them some more too. I guess that made him felt better.

Once we know he was alright, we started to laugh. We told everyone about it when we reached home. We made fun of him.

It was only after i grew up that i realized the implication of his action. He was afraid of heights. He has motion sickness so he never travel by bus too. Yet that day he climbed those stairs only for us. He wanted his daughters to experience something natural which could make us happy. He didn't think about his fears. He could have easily ignored it and we wont have complained much. Or he could have just let us take the ride by ourselves. But he knew we will be scared and so he was there to hold our hands. It was a very selfless act. It is a different story that he panicked later.. ahaha.


19 comments:

  1. AWW.Dads are a real sweetheart.It sometimes irks us why they are not expressive like moms but they are equally affectionate!! :)I had a blast in those rides as well ...I remember screeching my lungs out as well! I too have this fear for heights.I'll simply FREAK OUT so never peep down from the 15th floor or something!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolz..15th floor..i don't mind heights.. had a nice time paragliding n all.. and i guess all Dads are a bit alike.

      Delete
    2. Ya I agree with the same. Though Dads are quite not an expressive giants, but they love us very much.

      Delete
  2. Hi Della, your english gets a little weird sometimes, but I follow you because of ur lovely, heart-felt stories.. this one is nice too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. teeheehee.. thanks 4 following me.. n yeah..my english is definitely weird.. i put in a cocktail of words that makes sense to me

      Delete
  3. the last para was soooooooo touching..we dont realise what all sacrifices our parents have made for us until we really grow up..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know!! all those small things they do now hold very precious weight in our heart

      Delete
  4. nice story :) loved it :) even my dad is the same :) He eats pizza and burgers at times just for our sake :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolz.. that's a big sacrifice! i don't compromise when it comes to food!

      Delete
  5. i feel pity at your dad's son in law :D :D
    hehe..
    AMEN :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's such a lovely post. yes, our parents do so many things just to make us feel good and we hardly realize that.

    btw i didn't realize ur blog's name is Gracy's Garbage :D. that's a supercool name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolz thanks man! Gracy's Garbage appreciate it

      Delete
  7. Naya khigat ningkhodana!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thawai machase yaoriphao ya khigatni :P

      Delete
    2. Nangido lila gi dialogue script yaam malle hehe :P

      Delete
  8. hahaha...i rem dat shouting n stamping on the metal floor..hehe..funny! ya dat thing was designed like a chopper n made sound like some war plane...haha, dat memory was totally gone from my head until i read dis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolz..You were more smaller than me. And i think you cried ! All i remembered clearly was Daddy shouting.. hahaha

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you have a great dad!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I always reply ;)