Pages

Saturday, 3 March 2012

A Long bus ride Alone


My bus stopped at a Dhaba by the road. All passengers started to get down.
“Do you know where the bathroom is?”, a girl stranger asked me in a hushed tone . And that started a friendship. :D

Travelling alone for a girl is always uncomfortable for many. But i don’t mind. I can watch the beautiful sceneries and daydream the whole journey.

Also, i don’t get motion sickness like most people. So again travelling by bus is fun. If you’re going by flight or train, you don’t get to see the real view of the places you’re passing through. Trust me!

Assam : source Google
I was on my way to Silchar starting from Dibrugarh. At that moment i was feeling a bit cheated. I was tricked into believing by a certain friend that the bus ride will take only 8 hours from Guwahati. But no! The traffic jammed big time on the narrow twisted road to Shillong and it took forever to cross Meghalaya.

My cell phone battery died since i was on the road for more than 24 hours (bad dying battery). Everyone in that bus was male..old man, young man, teenage boys. Except me and this girl. And i’m thankful for the company. 

The sky was filling up with a strong wind and grey clouds, making it so dark and beautiful. Small droplets of rain splattered on the window pane giving an aroma of water all around. I loved that smell. 

So i sat there staring at the nature and i was glad i had someone to talk about how pretty it looked. She was a medical student from Dibrugarh and was going to Shillong to write an exam. She was funny and witty and we instantly clicked. (Well, that’s not entirely true. We both hunt for a decent toilet for almost 15min together, and that’s how we clicked :p  ) We talked as if we were childhood friends meeting after a long time.

She was also travelling alone and that made me like her by default. I prefer ladies who are independent and fearless. We shared our stories while the rain splattered some more creating more traffic jams and another rumor of landslides. 

Travelling around the hills of northeast was never advised by my parents. There’s always a chance of landslide and getting stuck. So, I didn’t tell them that i was going such a long way. I took leave from work and headed off backpacking. It was a small journey for me, a small adventure nevertheless. 

Source : Google :)


The views were mind blowing. I had this close to nature experience when i saw this blue bolt of lightning striking the green field in the horizon.

But my friendship with her was short-lived. She got down at Shillong and we didn’t even exchange numbers. And i travelled all alone from then on occupying double the bus seat all to myself.

 That night i saw a big moon. The next day was “Supermoon” which was why i was going to meet a friend. We wanted to stare at the moon together in this historic event and also play holi.
Supermoon. Remember that word? It was supposed to have the biggest view of the moon. I tried to click some picture from my non-SLR digital camera and it came out like this. But sadly, this time i got no one beside me to share its beauty. 

Supermoon snake : The camera shake while the bus moved. hehehe



----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This post is for Indiblogger 's Expedia Contest. I enjoyed sharing my experience.Travel more with Expedia by visiting  http://www.expedia.co.in/ \m/

31 comments:

  1. NIcely narrated :D
    love to travel lyk that !
    sad, that you survived and escaped from landslides :(
    GOOD LUCK FOR CONTEST :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha.. be kind Killer or else i will take you to north-east and bury you in one of this landslide!

      Delete
  2. supercool narration :) oh yes a bus ride from guwahati to silchar can last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i had a bad experience twice! and thanks! :D

      Delete
  3. hey how do u enter the contest.. i'll enter and snatch the prize you were going to win!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you know what? the contest ended an hour ago.. AAhahahaaha

      Delete
  4. beautiful as always...I too studied in the hills and remember the rides in the bus from Delhi to Nainital...very scary during the rains and the ghats are beautiful. Glad you at least could find a lone girl traveller like you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, it's scary and beautiful at the same time. and yes i was lucky :)

      Delete
  5. nice post and that picture of shaking moon...beautiful....all the best for the contest

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very well written post. Good luck in the contest. I'm starting to really like reading your blog.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gina Gao.. visit my blog again if you like it :)

      Delete
  7. ashhh number lourak u yaadronupi dugi...ashhh :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. something is missing! i dont know wat..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ammm.. maybe. this story is actually long. how i traveled alone that night and many more stuffs. but the contest was only about sharing experience with a person. so i made it short :)

      Delete
  9. Della I've got something for you, check my latest blog post :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like an intresting journey..i love travelling by road though i havent yet been to that side of the country your post has made me wanna go and explore:)thanks for sharing.nd yes if u do get a chance do go for a road journey from manali to leh ladakh and on way back via srinagar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should really explore north-east, it's really a beautiful place! and your routes are carefully noted. perhaps i will go in my August trip. thanks for the suggestion!! :D

      Delete
  11. I love travelling too but with college and exams I have hardly moved out of chennai! Of course I go visit my parents abroad or they mostly come visit my bro and me and our huge family! But I never found a friend while travelling! In fact one of my crazy dreams was to meet "the one" on some journey :D LOL! Now that sounds so crazy to me today!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe.. that's a crazy romantic but a realistic dream! I hope you find "the one" in your next travel :)

      Delete
    2. Er.Already did ;) I have no more of such strange fantasies.Gawd,did I call that strange? Darn! I'm growing up. :P

      Delete
  12. An interesting account. I dislike bus journeys in India, the most common reason being lack of good public toilets on the way.

    One query here.
    Is it safe for a woman to travel alone in this region? Trust me, I won't beat you even if you say no! :-)

    All the best for your entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lolz.. honestly, north-east India respect women a lot. No harassment in public like Delhi or Bihar. So traveling alone is not a big issue although it's always better to have a companion. And yes, public toilet is really a big irksome zone for bus journeys!

      Delete
  13. Hey Della

    I always travel by bus when I have a choice :)

    North-east is a place i've always wanted to visit. Maybe by bus :D

    And hey, thanks for the comments on the blog. I read your posts and you're pretty awesome too!

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I always reply ;)